Biden’s Administration to tighten crypto regulation pushed by Ransomware Task Force.
A public-private task force submitted a report to the Biden administrations which states recommendations to tighten the regulation of the cryptocurrencies, along with the aim to combat ransomware.
The Task force urged the White House to tighten Crypto regulation.
The task force submitted a report named “Combating Ransomware” to the Biden Administration. The report has 48 recommendations, some of which aimed to strengthen crypto regulation.
The Ransomware Task Force made the recommendations, which describes as “a broad coalition of volunteer experts from industry, government, law enforcement, civil society, cybersecurity insurers, and international organizations.” Its objective is to “provide a strategic framework for a systemic, global approach to mitigating the ransomware problem.”
What are the given recommendations to the White House?
One “Priority recommendations” highlighted in the report states:
The report explains some crypto-related recommendations like;
- “Develop new levers for voluntary sharing of cryptocurrency payment indicators,”
- “Incentivize voluntary information sharing between cryptocurrency entities and law enforcement,”
- “Centralize expertise in cryptocurrency seizure, and scale criminal seizure processes.”
The members of the RTF are:
- US federal Bureau of Investigation
- UK National Crime Agency
- US Secret Service
- UK National Cyber Security Centre
- Royal Canadian Mounted Police’s National Cybercrime Coordination Unit
“Ransoms paid by private firms siphon millions of dollars toward criminal enterprise every year,” the report continues, emphasizing that “The total amount paid by ransomware victims increased by 311% in 2020, reaching nearly $350 million worth of cryptocurrency.”
📣 Cryptonetwork.News is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel and stay updated with the latest Cryptocurrency, Blockchain, and Cryptomining headlines